Wednesday, November 14, 2007

seriously san diego?

So I was looking at the news on cox.net san diego when I found this article. Now I realize I already wrote an entry today but this upset me so much that i had to write what I like to call an EMERGENCY blog.

Failing Eighth-Graders Not Being Held Back

11-14-2007 5:08 AM
(San Diego, CA) -- The San Diego Unified School District says only 28 of the hundreds of eighth-graders who did not meet middle school graduation requirements were held back from high school. Under a new policy, students who ended the year with two or more Fs in math, English, history or science were supposed to be held back, but most were allowed to move on because their parents took advantage of a provision. About 11-percent of eighth-graders, or 856 students, fell into this category.



Seriously San Diego? Let's reward children with bad grades. Sounds awesome. I cannot state too much on this since I never attended public jr. high and I only had one year of it while I was homeschooled. But, if these kids cannot handle the work of the classes they are in why would anyone believe they could handle high school. Not only is the curriculum harder but there is more going on socially and emotionally as well. I just don't get it. It is setting them up for failure in the long run. Now I realize that there are exceptions like a kid couldn't concentrate because his parents are getting divorced at that time but I am tlking in general. Kids that age don't tend to have the clearest mind set and if they are already showing signs of not being responsible then they need to realize that before shoving them in with the sharks.

No comments: